Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Trail's End?

Seven months and finally man, MRI and MD met in the same room. To begin - no meniscus tears; ACL, PCL and collateral ligaments were intact. Cruciate ligaments were intact and my patellar facets appeared especially well-preserved.

However I had a focal osteochondral injury or lesion. The doctor called it a "pothole" in my knee, the result of bone erosion. No idea how long it's been there or even if running was the cause. However it's there now. He mentioned three cures, but all would necessitate not running any more. I'm free to run or walk now, but all such activity will continue eroding the pothole. Since I'm not in anything like steady discomfort, the doctor suggested leaving the pothole alone, and, when the pain eventually picked up, selecting from the cure hat trick.

A most curious state. I'm going to have to have a procedure done eventually and so the temptation is to use up the knee while I still can. But I'm sort of numb and need to take time to let all this sink in.

I have no passion for any other sport.

3 comments:

  1. I started last night's post with "Damn it!" Then the power cut out. Bad power supply motor in my CPU. Got if fixed today from a good Mom and Pop place in Pasadena.

    DAMN IT!

    Keep the faith, stay positive John. There's a solution out there!

    Wishing you the best. If I can help you out in any way please let me know.

    -Kiley

    ReplyDelete
  2. If running may not have been the cause, is it a certainty that running would worsen it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kiley. Moving forward on a few fronts, thinking good thoughts.

    Keeper: I'm thinking along those lines. I'll venture ahead a few paces and see what develops.

    ReplyDelete