Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Miss Chow

Last year, I assistant coached San Gabriel Valley Team in Training. Here is a picture from 09 Phoenix Marathon. Coach Dave is to my right with Virginia (l) and Kim Possible (r) ahead of us near the half-way point. That's the last time I ran any amount of distance, most of it "coaching" miles. (Speed up, slow down, double back, find teammates, run teammates in.)

Today, I met my old Team in Pasadena as they trained for the San Diego and Seattle Marathons. As in days past, they were holding a barbecue after a long run. Spread out on the picnic table were hot dogs, hamburgers, and strange soy products that looked like real food, plus cakes, bagels, chips, whatever. No longer do I burn the calories allowing me to scarf down all that tasty snackage without bulking up. So I had a grape.

Several coaches are training for triathlons and we compared notes on swimming in over-chlorinated pools. (Even after a shower, your skin's so dry you look like you rolled in a salt lick.)

Meanwhile, over on Facebook, former TNT coach Jimmy Freeman predicted a sub-three hour finish in tomorrow's Tokyo Marathon. Best of luck to Jimmy and wife Kate, plus all the Pasadena marathoners.

May they run like deer and eat like pigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment